ERAMN Federal Update by Betty Folliard 9.11.19
- In 2017 Nevada became the 36th state in the nation to ratify the federal ERA; last year Illinois finally cut its ties with the Confederacy and became the 37th state in the nation to ratify the federal ERA. These states sparked the match to ratify the federal ERA with bipartisan support, by making it crystal clear that a vote for the ERA is a vote for equality. Now we need only 1 more state to reach the ¾ requirement of 38 states.
- Our ERAMN Legislative Team worked throughout the Fall/Winter to garner chief authors, co-authors, and gain support for the Minnesota ERA bills. In May the Federal ERA Bill passed the MN House Unanimously 81-0 with 72 Dems & 9 GOP in a bipartisan vote.
- In April, Betty gave an ERA/CEDAW presentation to the NY State AAUW Annual Convention in Cooperstown NY.
- Also in April the US House Judiciary Committee held the first hearing on the ERA in 36 years, focusing on the “DeleteTheDeadline” bill: a bipartisan effort with 206 co-sponsors that will eliminate the sunset imposed on women’s rights in 1982 (218 needed for a majority!). ERAMN sent 2 delegates to represent us. We are told the Mark-up & Vote will take place this Fall.
- In July, Patty Mac, Rep. Rena Moran & Betty Folliard gave an ERA2020 Workshop (~50 attendees) at the National Organization of Women (NOW) national conference in Bloomington; and Betty then presented an ERA2020 Plenary Speech to the full conference.
- Also in July, Betty & Rep. Kaohly Her did a 1-hour ERA interview on MPR.
- In August, ERA Coalition- our DC-based national partner, held a bipartisan Capitol Hill briefing on the ERA in the US Senate hosted by Sens. Ben Cardin (D-Maryland) and Lisa Murkowski (R-Alaska).
- With the addition of Delaware this year, half the country (25 states) has ERA’s in their state constitutions (with New York poised to soon pass their own state ERA). State ERA’s in half of states prove that there’s nothing apocalyptic about a federal ERA.
- The most likely state to take us over the top is Virginia. This year, by a vote of 50-50, their ERA legislative effort was 1 vote shy of passing the federal ERA. Every legislative seat in their house & senate is up for election THIS YEAR. AND WE CAN HELP!